DIY Fence Decor with Blue Glass and Copper
Sinkology is proud to present Kendra Williams, a home decor expert, DIYer, furniture refinisher, and busy mom as a guest blogger. Kendra runs the blog at Momtique and she is here to share some design ideas and inspiration around designing your home with copper and around your copper sink.
For the city we live in, our yard is rather large. Having a large city yard means you also have a large amount of fence surrounding you. We have a good amount of trees and rose bushes covering our fence, but lately I’ve been bothered by a few spots that were looking sad and bare. It was time for some fence decor! My love for blue glass bottles runs deep. It’s my longest running collection and by far my favorite. I also have a major love of all things copper. This DIY fence decor project combines those two loves! This project was actually inspired by an item I found at an antique faire but I didn’t want to spend the high sticker price. I’m not exactly sure what it was used for “back then” but I had an idea of how I wanted to use it.
Here’s what you need:
- You’ll need some sort of bottle. There’s no need to go searching for an antique bottle, unless you want to. You could use an empty wine bottle, a glass olive oil bottle, or go to any craft store and find a cute bottle. All of these options will do just fine.
- A piece of wood. I could have gone to a home improvement store but I found these wood pieces at a craft store for under $2 each. I’m all about taking the easy route when it comes to DIY projects.
- Copper wire. I found 16-gauge copper wire at the same craft store. This wire is actually intended for jewelry making purposes but it worked perfectly.
You’ll also need a drill, a pair of scissors and some flowers.
Here’s what you do:
- First you need to drill two holes on the piece of wood. One hole towards the top and one towards the bottom. This is where the copper wire will go through to secure the bottle.
- Thread the copper wire through the holes. Leave a loop for the bottle to go through.
- Next, you need to put the bottle through the copper loops.
- On the back, twisting the copper wire will make sure the bottle is in there nice and tight. With the excess wire on the back, make a loop so you can hang it on the fence. No need for extra hooks!
- You’re finished! Now you can hammer some nails into the fence so that you can hang your new blue glass bottles vases. Add some beautiful flowers and sit back and enjoy your DIY handiwork.
If you find your fence looking a little dreary, give this little DIY project a try. It’s simple, inexpensive, and adds a great pop of character to a boring fence.
Thanks for reading and I hope you have a beautiful day!
If you have any additional questions during your search for the perfect copper sink, our Sinkologists are here to help. Contact us or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Houzz, Pinterest, or Instagram for more helpful tips and design ideas.